Fashionably M.French: Guest Room Essentials

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Guest Room Essentials



Summer is prime time for vacations. Everyone seems to be booking flights, packing up and shipping out to soak up the sun. 

Last summer was the first time I hosted a friend in my humble little abode and let me be frank and say that I was not prepared. To be fair, it was a complete surprise for my birthday. However, I realized that I had no plan in place for when unexpected guests arrive. 

That same friend is coming again this summer and I am determined to make a better impression! There are a few basics that should be covered when hosting a guest. This can include grocery shopping to fit their tastes, keeping things clean and tidy and making them feel right at home with little bits and bobs.

This doesn't have to equate to tons of effort and hours of rushing around the house, which would wear you out before your guest has even arrived. I have compiled a short list of small things that will make your guest feel welcome and at ease during their stay.

1. Fresh Flowers

If you weren't already aware, I love fresh flowers. A lot. 

Fresh flowers are the easiest way to brighten up a space. I will say that some stores really mark up the price of flowers (even seasonal flowers- I mean come on, people, work with me here!) but you can usually find a great little bouquet at your local grocery store for under ten bucks. You can personalize the space with your guest's favorite blooms. This small gesture will make them feel welcomed and considered.

2. Serving Tray

A serving tray is the perfect addition to a guest space. This is where you can leave a reusable water bottle, snacks and even a small stack of books you think your guest might enjoy. You can even put an adult beverage for anyone who might want to wind down after a long day of travel. 

Get creative and pile on the goodies! I have a small chest of drawers in my guest space that I can place a serving tray on but if you don't have anything similar, you can simply place the tray on the center of the mattress or couch where they will be staying.

3. Bathroom Basket

If your guest is staying for more than just a day. then chances are they will want to get cleaned up in the bathroom. That's where the bathroom basket comes in. 

In this basket you will want to put fresh bathroom linens such as towels and washcloths. I like the idea of using separate "guest" linens with a fun pattern that can be distinguished from the everyday towels. 

You can also include a toiletries bag full of sample sized shampoo and conditioner, body wash and other skincare products.Who wouldn't love feeling like they are in a spa or a hotel? Plus, that gives your guest one less thing to worry about when they realize they have forgotten something while packing.  



So there you have it! Those are a few things that I will always have on hand for when a guest decides to pop in, whether expected or not. 

What are some of your guest room essentials? Is there anything special that you like to do to make your guests feel right at home? 

Don't be shy- leave a comment down below. Also, be sure to share this post with anyone you know who might be hosting a guest sometime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! x